I’ve always loved the idea of a cake in a mug. A quick and easy bake, hardly any washing up to do and they look so delicious, why wouldn’t you bake your cake in a mug!
So when I found out Suzy Pelta was bringing out her recipe book called Miracle Mug Cakes and Other Cheat’s Bakes, I couldn’t wait to buy the book and try out all her different recipes. In the past I have made Brown Sugar Shortbread biscuits from the Bake With Suzy range and they were delicious, so I knew the mug cakes would be just as good too.
For my first miracle mug cake, I chose to make White Chocolate & Lemon Drizzle. This was absolutely gorgeous and so easy and quick to make. My family loved it and thought it was a great and unique idea having a cake in a mug. I can’t wait to try out all the other deliciously looking mug cakes in my newly acquired recipe book now, perfect for when you’re short on time too. Watch this space!
Prepare: 2 minutes Microwave: 1 minute 40 seconds Cool: 3 minutes
Ingredients ~ Makes 1
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
60 g/2 oz white chocolate
zest of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 medium egg
4 tablespoons self-raising flour
1 tablespoon almond liqueur to serve (optional)
freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Chop 40g/1 1/2 oz of white chocolate into small pieces and along with the butter, add it to the mug. Microwave for 20-30 seconds at 800W until the chocolate has melted. Set the remaining chocolate aside.
- Stir the melted chocolate and butter, add the lemon zest and stir again.
- Add the sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Using a fork, beat in the egg until fully combined.
- Empty in the flour and mix well until you have a smooth batter.
- Drop the remaining chocolate into the mixture, along with 1 teaspoon of water.
- Microwave for 1 minute 40 seconds at 800W. The cake will rise and should still be quite wet to touch. (It may drip down the sides as it is a moist batter.)
- While the mug cake is in the microwave, mix the lemon juice and icing sugar together in a bowl to make a drizzle.
- As soon as the mug cake is out of the microwave, put the drizzle in the microwave and heat for 20 seconds at 800W.
- Prick the mug cake all over with a skewer or toothpick, hold the mug over the sink and carefully pour the warm drizzle over the top of the cake. You can also pour over the optional almond liqueur at this point.
- Leave the mug cake to cool for 3 minutes before eating. Enjoy!
The Cappuccino Diaries is a food, travel and lifestyle blog, please do get in touch if you would like to be featured.